A month after the tour bus accident in the north Bronx that killed 15 people, the state has stopped 1,286 buses in “surprise inspections,” the Department of Transportation announced today.

“Bus drivers who don’t follow the rules as well as buses that are unsafe must be taken off the road so that New Yorkers can have confidence in the safety of the public transportation system,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a statement. “My administration is aggressively enforcing the laws governing bus safety and I commend the inspectors and their law enforcement partners for their stepped-up efforts.”

State officials said the highest number of violations occurred in the New York metropolitan region. Of the 302 inspections performed in the area since March 17, 55 drivers as well as 59 buses were taken off the road due to the violations.

In total, 124 drivers were cited and 96 buses were taken off the road.

The March 12 accident highlighted safety concerns over the tour buses. The driver of the bus was found to have a suspended license. Last month, the state stopped 164 buses in a safety crackdown, finding that more than 40 drivers had license violations.