Senate Republicans and Gov. Andrew Cuomo administration’s agreed to key changes in the sweeping 2013 gun control law known as the SAFE Act, according to a memorandum of understanding released on Friday afternoon.

“This is a clear victory for Second Amendment rights in New York,” said Sen. James Seward, a Republican from Oneonta whose district includes the gun manufacturer Remington Arms. “While I will continue to work for full repeal of the poorly crafted, over-reaching NY-SAFE Act, this is a significant accomplishment – and constitutes the only modifications that have been made to this law since it was enacted two years ago over my objection.”

The document, signed by Senate Majority Leader John Flanagan and Director of Operations Jim Malatras includes an agreement to suspend portions of the SAFE Act that created a statewide database for ammunition purchasers to undergo a background check — a project that was hampered by technical glitches since state officials sought to implement it.

The MOU stipulates that no state money will be used to maintain the database, while noting the leadership of the State Police has acknowledged there is a “lack of technology” for maintaining the database.

State Police Superintendent Joseph D’Amico earlier in the year told state lawmakers the database essentially remained a work in progress even as a deadline to develop it had come and gone.

At the same time, Seward’s release said a ban on the Internet sale of ammunition has been lifted. Cuomo’s office said that is not the case, and a reading of the MOU does not show any changes to that provision.

The agreement itself is not a wholesale upending of the law, which has angered gun-rights advocates and owners across the state.

Flanagan in May had pledged to push for SAFE Act changes after he replaced fellow Long Island Republican Dean Skelos as the majority leader, who stepped down following a corruption arrest.

Flanagan immediately faced skepticism from upstate Republicans for his vote in favor of the SAFE Act, but legislative changes to the measure were always unlikely given Democratic majority in the Assembly.

Cuomo has long touted the passage of the SAFE Act as one of his most significant legislative achievements during his first term. Cuomo’s name does not appear on the memorandum.

The package, which included measures aimed at illegal weapons as well as expanding penalties for those who kill first responders, was approved in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooting that left 19 people dead.

Updated: Senate Democratic spokesman Mike Murphy blasted the two-way agreement.

“I guess we don’t have the toughest gun laws in the nation anymore,” Murphy said. “This two way agreement is outrageous. I’m looking forward to the MOUs on the minimum wage, paid family leave, protecting a woman’s right to choose and the numerous other things the Senate Republicans are blocking.”

Republican Sen. Michael Nozzolio in a statement said Speaker Carl Heastie “refused” to participate in the negotiations over the SAFE Act changes.

Updated X2: Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi in a statement downplayed the changes in a statement.

“No provision of the SAFE Act — including the ban on Internet ammunition sales– has been rolled back or altered due to this memorandum,” he said. “This simply acknowledges what has been said previously — the ammunition sales database will not be prematurely introduced until the technology is ready and it does not create an undue burden for business owners.”

Second Amendment advocates like Republican Assemblyman Bill Nojay, meanwhile, reacted to the news by saying the MOU has little practical impact.

“The MOU therefore has all the significance of the Governor and Mr. Flanagan announcing that tomorrow the sun will rise in the East,” Nojay said. “We all knew that, it was going to happen anyhow and taking credit for it is political grandstanding.”

Mou – Ny Safe Act – 07-10-15 by Nick Reisman