The key Republican lawmaker involved involved in talks surrounding juvenile justice reform said Monday he’s hopeful an agreement can be reached this week on raising the age of criminal responsibility as part of a broader budget agreement.

But disagreements remain over how to try and even define violent crimes that would not be included in family court proceedings for defendants under the age of 18.

Lawmakers have been going through various criminal offenses to determine which crimes should be deemed violent enough to continue prosecuting in criminal court.

“I would say that’s the threshold issue: Violent crimes and violent individuals are people are who prey upon our communities and those are people we should rightfully be afraid of,” said Sen. Pat Gallivan, a western New York Republican. “Many of us believe there should be some level of accountability which in some cases includes prison sentences.”

The effort stems from having 16 and 17-year-old defendants to either family or juvenile diversion courts. The issue is a top priority to have resolved this week for the Democratic-led Assembly and its speaker, Bronx Democrat Carl Heastie.

Republicans, however, have been hesitant to embrace a wide menu of crimes that would be considered for diversion to a different, non-criminal court.

“My goal is try of figure out a way to do that while at the same time we protect public safety, we protect communities and we protect victims rights,” Gallivan said. “The conversation revolves around all those things.”

Nevertheless, Gallivan insisted talks have gone well. He met Friday with Gov. Andrew Cuomo and top legislative leaders to discuss the issue. Senate Majority Leader John Flanagan last week after that meeting suggested several measures were being spoken of as a package.

“I’m hopeful that it can be (agreed to) and I would say the conversations that I’ve been a part of have been very productive,” Gallivan said.