Former Attorney General Eric Schneiderman will not face criminal charges related to allegations of physical abuse by multiple women that ultimately triggered his resignation from office.

Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas, who had been appointed to investigate Schneiderman, interviewed the women as well as members of Schneiderman’s staff.

“Following an exhaustive review, evaluation of the facts, the law, and applicable statutes of limitations,” she said.

“I believe the women who shared their experiences with our investigation team, however legal impediments, including statutes of limitations, preclude criminal prosecution. Our investigation also highlighted deficiencies in New York law for which I have drafted remedial legislation.”

Schneiderman resigned hours after The New Yorker reported the allegations of multiple women that Schneiderman had been physically abusive. He was replaced by Barbara Underwood who is completing the unexpired term. On Tuesday, New York City Public Advocate Letitia James was elected the next attorney general on Tuesday.

“I recognize that District Attorney Singas’ decision not to prosecute does not mean I have done nothing wrong,” Schneiderman said in a statement. “I accept full responsibility for my conduct in my relationships with my accusers, and for the impact it had on them. After spending time in a rehab facility, I am committed to a lifelong path of recovery and making amends to those I have harmed. I apologize for any and all pain that I have caused, and I apologize to the people of the State of New York for disappointing them after they put their trust in me.”