How Does Time Warner Cable Collect and Use Information About You?
Absent your consent or request, Time Warner Cable does not divulge personally identifiable information to third parties for their marketing or advertising purposes.
When you visit the Site, it is important that we can present our content in a way that makes sense to your screen, that we are able to conduct research, that we know which pages and activity on the Site are most popular and, in some cases, that compensation can be determined between us and our content and advertising partners. In order to do these types of things, we may collect data such as:
- The type of browser you use (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.);
- The type of operating system you use (e.g., Apple Mac OS X, Windows XP, mobile Android or Apple OS, etc.);
- The domain name of your Internet Service Provider (e.g., Road Runner);
- Your Internet Protocol address;
- The referring page that linked you to us, the pages you visit on this Site; the web page you visit after this Site;
- The content and advertisements that you view and/or click on;
- Any search terms you enter on this Site or a referral site;
- If you are accessing this Site from a portable device, the device may provide this Site with your location, we will collect that information on pages where your location helps authenticate you or determine the page content. To the extent this information is stored; it will be stored only in anonymous or aggregate format.
- In delivering a video service on the Site, we may also track information about your use of the Site in a non-personally identifiable manner and we may combine this information with other non-personally identifiable information. None of this data will be used to personally identify you.
Use of this Site is allowed only for people that are authenticated as Time Warner Cable subscribers. In order to identify whether you are eligible to enter the Site and access particular content, we will collect information to authenticate you and the TWC services you purchase.
From time-to-time, this Site may offer features that will require us to collect information about you in order for the features to work in an optimum way. These features can include the registration or subscription to newsletters, accounts or features on this Site, the making of online purchases, entering sweepstakes and contests, completing surveys, contributing to a chat room, message board, blog, or other similar open forum on this Site, the submission of comments or question to us using a “contact us” or similar feature on this Site, the sending to Time Warner Cable of e-mail, or in any other way submitting personally identifiable information to us via or relating to this Site. If you do not take advantage of these opportunities, we will not collect information from you to support these options.
To the extent you provide us with information about you, we may use this information for internal purposes related to any Time Warner Cable service or product and to send you notices (for example, in the form of e-mails, mailings, and the like), and otherwise correspond with you, about products, services, companies and events, sponsored by us and others, that we think might interest you.
Time Warner Cable sites (other than this Site), as well as any other third party content, sites, advertisements, applications and toolbars linked to from this Site, may each have their own privacy policies and practices. Time Warner Cable is not responsible for the information practices of third parties. You should carefully review their privacy policies in order to determine how each third party may use any personally identifiable information you provide.
Some of the information described above is collected or maintained through “cookies,” which are small data files that are sent to your browser or related software from a web server and stored on your computer’s hard drive. Most Web browsers can be set to inform you when a cookie has been sent to you and provide you with the opportunity to refuse that cookie. Additionally, if you have a Flash player installed on your computer, your Flash player can be set to reject or delete Flash cookies (technically known as Flash “local shared objects”). However, refusing a cookie may, in some cases, preclude you from using, or negatively impact the display or function of, the Site or certain areas or features.
Content on this Site, including advertisements, may be recommended to you or customized to your interests and preferences, based on your personally identifiable information and web site usage information, including (but not limited to) non-personally identifying information, which we may obtain from you or from other sources.