The Growing Economy
With just weeks until New York State’s medical marijuana program is set to take effect, Time Warner Cable News sent a crew to Minnesota – a state with a fledgling medical marijuana program similar to New York’s.
Five companies were selected by the New York State Department of Health to produce medical cannabis and distribute it across the state. One of those companies was also chosen to produce by the Department of Health in Minnesota.
That company – Vireo Health Company – will start selling medical cannabis in New York under the company Vireo Health of New York (formerly Empire State Health Solutions). Our crew traveled to their company in Minnesota – Minnesota Medical Solutions – to compare that state’s program to New York’s.
The series debuted September 14th on Capital Tonight. You can watch on Local on Demand (Channel 1020) or by clicking below.
Lawmakers in New York passed legislation to enact the state’s medical marijuana program in 2014.
The program remains one of the strictest in the nation.
The medical product will only be available in non-smokable, non-edible which can include oils, liquids, pills, and other authorized forms. It’s scheduled to be available in January, but only to patients suffering from extreme conditions like epilepsy or cancer.
In November of 2015, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a law that would provide expedited medical marijuana access to patients suffering from extreme conditions. He made clear in his approval message that the Department of Health would have to act carefully to comply with the U.S. Department of Justice.
But months before that, in July 2015, the Department of Health awarded five companies licenses to produce medical cannabis. They will distribute medical cannabis through 20 dispensaries scattered across the state, with a scheduled start date in January.
- Bloomfield Industries Inc.
- Manufacturing: Queens County
- Dispensing: Nassau, New York, Onondaga, and Erie Counties
- Columbia Care NY LLC
- Manufacturing: Monroe County
- Dispensing: New York, Suffolk, Clinton, and Monroe Counties
- Empire State Health Solutions
- Manufacturing: Fulton County
- Dispensing: Broome, Albany, Westchester, and Queens Counties
- Etain, LLC
- Manufacturing: Warren County
- Dispensing: Albany, Ulster, Westchester, and Onondaga Counties
- PharmaCann, LLC
- Manufacturing: Orange County
- Dispensing: Erie, Onondaga, Albany, and Bronx Counties