Contributions donated to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s re-election bid will be “set aside” and potentially subject to forfeiture efforts by prosecutors, a top New York Democrat on Tuesday evening said.

“Given the serious nature of the allegations made last week, the campaign contributions given by the defendants will be set aside in a separate account to be made available for any forfeiture recoveries pursued by law enforcement upon case disposition, rather than returning the funds to the defendants,” said Basil Smikle, the executive director of the state Democratic Committee in an email statement. “The US Attorney’s office has been made aware of this action.”

A Cuomo campaign source later explained why the money was being put in a separate account and not returned to the donors: “It’s not our intention to fund anyone’s legal defense.”

The statement comes hours after the campaign of Comptroller Tom DiNapoli indicated on Tuesday he would return donations received from developers linked to the sweeping bribery and bid-rigging case that has also ensnared a former top aide and confidant to the governor, Joe Percoco.

DiNapoli is returning the money from LP Ciminelli CEO Louis Ciminelli and Steven Aiello, the top executive COR Development, whose contributions to DiNapoli account for more than $40,000 combined.

Cuomo, who is running for a third term in 2018, has received a combined $350,000 from developer Ciminelli, as well as the developer’s family members. Aiello, meanwhile, has contributed $10,000 to Cuomo.

Both Ciminelli and Aiello are among those charged in the case.

It’s unclear from the statement released Tuesday how much of the money will be entered into a separate account pending the developments in the corruption case.